From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ext4 inode limit reached
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 14:55:52
1 Joseph writes:
2
3 > On 12/12/11 12:15, Daniel Troeder wrote:
4 > >Hello :)
5 > >
6 > >I have an ext4-filesystem that contains /usr/src, the /usr/portage and
7 > >/var/cache/edb. It previously also contained /var/db/pkg, but I had to
8 > >move that some weeks ago, because the fs was "full". Now it's "full"
9 > >again, though it has free blocks. But no inodes are left:
10 > >
11 > >$ fsck -vf /dev/sda5
12 > >[..]
13 > > 655360 inodes used (100.00%)
14 > >[..]
15 > >
16 > >$ find /gentoo -xdev | wc -l
17 > >655338
18 > >
19 > >That's really disappointing. I was using reiser3fs and XFS before, and
20 > >they didn't have that kind of limitation... Uhm... not meant as a rant
21 > >- I like ext4 - that's why I'm moving (almost?) everything to it...
22 > >
23 > >Is there any way to raise the number of inodes without using
24 > >$ mkfs.ext4 -N BIGNUM
25 > >
26 > >Thank you,
27 > >Daniel
28 >
29 > That is scary. I just install new HD with 2TB capacity and ext4 that is
30 > 2% full and:
31 > $ find /home/joseph/ -xdev | wc -l
32 > shows: 169977 that is 26% full.
33
34 No, that is 26% of the number of total inodes _Daniel_ has on his small
35 partition. Yours is bigger, so you have more inodes. My largest partition
36 has 724G, and 46 million inodes. Use df -i to see how many you have.
37
38 > So will run out of inodes before I run out of hard disk space :-/ that
39 > is not good. If other filesystems don't have these kind of limitation
40 > I'll be switching.
41
42 Having too few inodes has been a problem for me in the past. But that was
43 either a tiny partition for the portage tree, which has so many small
44 files. Or the partition where I back up my /var partition with
45 rdiff-backup, so it also has lots of files, and with each backup the same
46 amount gets added. If you intend to place unusually many files on a
47 partition, check how many inodes mkfs has created, and re-create the file
48 system using the -N option, giving it a somewhat larger number.
49
50 Wonko