From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Laptop wifi find more than external antenna
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:06:25
1 On 2010-01-08, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 8 Jan 2010, at 15:49, Grant wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> That's a good idea, but I'm actually able to pick up the difficult
6 >> AP's with the same dongle when its normal omnidirectional antenna is
7 >> attached instead of the strong directional one. Could a failing
8 >> antenna exhibit this behavior?
9 >
10 > I'm extremely sceptical of these cheap external aerials.
11
12 The one to which the OP provided a link isn't that cheap ($50)
13 and gets universally excellent reviews. My testing indicates
14 that it does indeed provide something on the order of the
15 claimed 15dBi gain. It's performance is very close to that of a
16 well-built double-biquad reflector: both show 10-12dB increases
17 over a stock 3dB "whip" when I tested them with various bits of
18 HW (a USB WiFi dongle, two different brands of WAP).
19
20 That said, the cable on the Hawking unit is pretty flimsy --
21 and hence probably is rather vulnerable to both electrical
22 noise or physical abuse. It probably wouldn't take much of a
23 pinch or kink to cause problems.
26 Grant Edwards grante Yow! Here I am in 53
27 at B.C. and all I want is a
28 visi.com dill pickle!!