From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Laptop wifi find more than external antenna
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 21:11:04
1 >>> That's a good idea, but I'm actually able to pick up the difficult
2 >>> AP's with the same dongle when its normal omnidirectional antenna is
3 >>> attached instead of the strong directional one.  Could a failing
4 >>> antenna exhibit this behavior?
5 >>
6 >> I'm extremely sceptical of these cheap external aerials.
7 >
8 > The one to which the OP provided a link isn't that cheap ($50)
9 > and gets universally excellent reviews. My testing indicates
10 > that it does indeed provide something on the order of the
11 > claimed 15dBi gain. It's performance is very close to that of a
12 > well-built double-biquad reflector: both show 10-12dB increases
13 > over a stock 3dB "whip" when I tested them with various bits of
14 > HW (a USB WiFi dongle, two different brands of WAP).
15 >
16 > That said, the cable on the Hawking unit is pretty flimsy --
17 > and hence probably is rather vulnerable to both electrical
18 > noise or physical abuse.  It probably wouldn't take much of a
19 > pinch or kink to cause problems.
20
21 That could definitely be the case. This thing has traveled.
22
23 - Grant