From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External firewire drive...
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 11:43:08
1 On Tue, 16 May 2006 11:28:17 +0100, Stroller wrote:
2
3 > Can anyone give me some quick pointers to mounting an external
4 > firewire drive under Gentoo, please?
5
6 Is the ohci1394 module loaded? Do you have hotplug support in your kernel?
7 CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y
8
9 > I thought that under udev, the kernel was supposed to be quite clever
10 > about recognising devices. Do I need to emerge coldplug, or is there
11 > anything else I can do to help things along?
12
13 > If I boot from a LiveCD or Knoppix these are always very good about
14 > finding all the devices in the system and making a mount point for
15 > them - are there any utilities for my installed Gentoo system that
16 > will do similar.
17
18 Udev should recognise the drive and create a device node, but creating
19 mount points is not udev's job. You need a device manager for that. If
20 you use KDE, especially 3.5, it should handle it for you, provided you
21 have the hal USE flag set. With other WMs, use ivman.
22
23 You don't need a specific udev rule to use a fwdisk, but it does make the
24 naming of the device, and the mount point, more consistent. I use this
25 rule in /etc/udev/rules.d/10-udev.rules, but you'll need to change the
26 model_id value, unless you have the same enclosure as me.
27
28 BUS=="ieee1394", KERNEL=="sd?1", SYSFS{model_id}=="0x008034", NAME:="fwdisk", SYMLINK="%k"
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 CAUTION: Do not install prior to installation.