From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon Streaming broken, need hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:00:37
1 On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Richard Cox <conardcox@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >>>
4 >> I've just tried a number of videos I've never watched before. I don't
5 >> receive any messages about "Updating Player" and they all played just
6 >> fine. However I then tried your Wonder Years stuff and that failed as
7 >> described.
8 >>
9 >> Unless this was caused by an update specifically done last night then
10 >> my machine is completely up to date as of yesterday afternoon and much
11 >> stuff that I've never watched before does work but some certainly does
12 >> fail.
13 >>
14 >> - Mark
15 >>
16 > My guess is...you still have hal installed.
19 No, hal isn't installed and hasn't been for quite a long time.
20
21 mark@c2stable ~ $ eix -Ic hal
22 [I] kde-base/kephal (4.7.4(4)@01/21/2012): Allows handling of
23 multihead systems via the XRandR extension
24 mark@c2stable ~ $
27 I think the more likely scenario is that for newer videos Amazon is
28 required by the owners of the video content to use newer versions of
29 DRM and it's really these newer versions of DRM that's causing the
30 problems. Older content that's been on their site for a while is
31 likely using older versions of DRM that still work because Amazon
32 isn't goign to change what's already there.
33
34 I could play any Lost episode whether I've played it before or not. As
35 best I can tell anything that's been added more recently is failing
36 under Linux. I'm having no problems playing Grant's 'The Wonder Years'
37 episodes from Amazon inside an NT VM on my Gentoo box, but it fails in
38 Linux proper. There's nothing inherently wrong about that. If Windows
39 has the DRM stuff and Linux doesn't, primarily because Open Source DRM
40 is inherently _NOT_ DRM, then that's the way it is. I don't see this
41 as an Amazon problem, or a Flash problem, but rather a problem with
42 the owners of the source material.
43
44 I do recognize my willingness to live with DRM is quite different than
45 many of my Linux friends. For that I apologize. I guess I should be
46 more militant...
47
48 - Mark