From: Richard Cox <conardcox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon Streaming broken, need hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 19:41:45
1 On 02/11/2012 01:18 PM, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>>> Amazon Streaming is broken and installing hal fixes it according to
4 >>>> the following thread:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I added the layman overlays multilib and kde-sunset in order to
9 >>>> install hal, but the emerge fails because it can't download
10 >>>> hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2. The following thread provides a
11 >>>> few links to this file but they no longer work, and I tried
12 >>>> downloading hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-4.tar.bz2, extracting, adding
13 >>>> the missing file as indicated, and recreating the bz2 tar archive, but
14 >>>> there is a checksum failure with that file:
15 >>>>
16 >>>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-906838-start-0.html
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Does anyone have advice for navigating this?
19 >>>>
20 >>>> - Grant
21 >>>>
22 >>> What exactly is broken about it? I run a mostly stable machines here.
23 >>> I am streaming an episode of Lost (which is free for Amazon Prime
24 >>> members) in Firefox 9.0 as I write and it's working perfectly for me.
25 >>>
26 >>> Or is this about the for pay stuff, or something else?
27 >>>
28 >>> How is it broken?
29 >> My wife and I are plowing through The Wonder Years which is also free
30 >> for Prime members. We're in the middle of season 6 and if we try to
31 >> watch an episode we haven't watched yet, an "Updating Player" message
32 >> appears, the update downloads, an error message appears, and we can
33 >> not watch the episode. Episodes we have already watched still work
34 >> fine. The same problem is described here:
35 >>
36 >> http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM
37 >>
38 >> - Grant
39 >>
40 > I've just tried a number of videos I've never watched before. I don't
41 > receive any messages about "Updating Player" and they all played just
42 > fine. However I then tried your Wonder Years stuff and that failed as
43 > described.
44 >
45 > Unless this was caused by an update specifically done last night then
46 > my machine is completely up to date as of yesterday afternoon and much
47 > stuff that I've never watched before does work but some certainly does
48 > fail.
49 >
50 > - Mark
51 >
52 My guess is...you still have hal installed.