From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Amazon Streaming broken, need hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 18:19:48
1 On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Amazon Streaming is broken and installing hal fixes it according to
3 >>> the following thread:
4 >>>
5 >>> http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM
6 >>>
7 >>> I added the layman overlays multilib and kde-sunset in order to
8 >>> install hal, but the emerge fails because it can't download
9 >>> hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-5.tar.bz2.  The following thread provides a
10 >>> few links to this file but they no longer work, and I tried
11 >>> downloading hal-0.5.14-gentoo-patches-4.tar.bz2, extracting, adding
12 >>> the missing file as indicated, and recreating the bz2 tar archive, but
13 >>> there is a checksum failure with that file:
14 >>>
15 >>> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-906838-start-0.html
16 >>>
17 >>> Does anyone have advice for navigating this?
18 >>>
19 >>> - Grant
20 >>>
21 >>
22 >> What exactly is broken about it? I run a mostly stable machines here.
23 >> I am streaming an episode of Lost (which is free for Amazon Prime
24 >> members)  in Firefox 9.0 as I write and it's working perfectly for me.
25 >>
26 >> Or is this about the for pay stuff, or something else?
27 >>
28 >> How is it broken?
29 >
30 > My wife and I are plowing through The Wonder Years which is also free
31 > for Prime members.  We're in the middle of season 6 and if we try to
32 > watch an episode we haven't watched yet, an "Updating Player" message
33 > appears, the update downloads, an error message appears, and we can
34 > not watch the episode.  Episodes we have already watched still work
35 > fine.  The same problem is described here:
36 >
37 > http://www.amazon.com/forum/amazon%20video%20on%20demand?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3EQAX98ED5WQ3&cdPage=1&cdSort=newest&cdThread=TxFTGOK5LRL3JM
38 >
39 > - Grant
42 I've just tried a number of videos I've never watched before. I don't
43 receive any messages about "Updating Player" and they all played just
44 fine. However I then tried your Wonder Years stuff and that failed as
45 described.
46
47 Unless this was caused by an update specifically done last night then
48 my machine is completely up to date as of yesterday afternoon and much
49 stuff that I've never watched before does work but some certainly does
50 fail.
51
52 - Mark