From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2008 02:36:23
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:19:36 -0500, Dale wrote:
6 >>> Folks, keep in mind why I asked this question in the first place.
7 >>> My power supply was frying and I needed a VERY fast shutdown.
8 >>>
9 >>
10 >> I'd shutdown and stay shutdown until I could replace the PSU. PSUs are
11 >> cheap, the components a dying one can take with it are not :(
16 > Well, the P/S went out right when it was unmounting at the very end of
17 > the shutdown process. I had one file system that it had to replay a
18 > few things when I rebooted. It was a close call since the file
19 > systems that wasn't unmounted was not a critical one.
20 I can no longer contain my curiosity. How did you know it was frying?
21 Smell, smoke? Normally, when something like that fails, it will fail too
22 quickly for you to do anything about it.
23 >
24 > I did replace the P/S with a new one tho. After getting the rubber
25 > band off the fan, I did check to see if it would boot up but it just
26 > sat there. I took it back apart and one of the transistors had a
27 > burnt spot, actually, it was a diode. Since when those things burn
28 > out they are basically not repairable, I just got a new one locally.
29 > I plan to get a permanent replacement from newegg soon. The P/S I
30 > have right now is a A-Open or something. It was all they had. I did
31 > notice that the 5 volt rail is higher than the other P/S's I have had
32 > before tho. This one is at 4.97 volts where it is usually 4.91 or
33 > something.
34 Ah yes, the old dead fan problem... that's why I keep a can of
35 compressed air near my desk, and if not that, a pair of full lungs. ;-)
36
37 A low quality PSU shouldn't be too bad, for the time being. However, I
38 wouldn't recommend running on one for longer than necessary. I've had
39 friends who trusted case PSUs a little too much, and paid the price.
40 >
41 > You are right about burning out other components tho. I have had two
42 > P/S's to burn out in this one rig. So far, nothing else hurt. I have
43 > some good luck I guess.
44 Sounds like it. Hey, can I borrow some of that luck? You'll get it back
45 in *almost* mint condition.
46 >
47 > Dale
48 >