From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emergency shutdown, how to?
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:56:36
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 14:19:36 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >> Folks, keep in mind why I asked this question in the first place. My
6 >> power supply was frying and I needed a VERY fast shutdown.
9 > I'd shutdown and stay shutdown until I could replace the PSU. PSUs are
10 > cheap, the components a dying one can take with it are not :(
15 Well, the P/S went out right when it was unmounting at the very end of
16 the shutdown process. I had one file system that it had to replay a few
17 things when I rebooted. It was a close call since the file systems that
18 wasn't unmounted was not a critical one.
19
20 I did replace the P/S with a new one tho. After getting the rubber band
21 off the fan, I did check to see if it would boot up but it just sat
22 there. I took it back apart and one of the transistors had a burnt
23 spot, actually, it was a diode. Since when those things burn out they
24 are basically not repairable, I just got a new one locally. I plan to
25 get a permanent replacement from newegg soon. The P/S I have right now
26 is a A-Open or something. It was all they had. I did notice that the 5
27 volt rail is higher than the other P/S's I have had before tho. This
28 one is at 4.97 volts where it is usually 4.91 or something.
29
30 You are right about burning out other components tho. I have had two
31 P/S's to burn out in this one rig. So far, nothing else hurt. I have
32 some good luck I guess.
33
34 Dale
35