From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 21:12:58
1 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > But anyway, I know I must make backups, but I still want a robust
5 > filesystem with good software support (such as data recovery
6 > utilities). Could you give me your suggestion for the safest
7 > filesystem for a desktop user that only uses 3,8G of his 54G root
8 > partition? I care about speed, but I think that my usage pattern does
9 > not stress the filesystem (if what Valerie Henson says is true).
12 reiserfs, Never lost anything.....I could not recover across dozens of
13 systems.....
14
15 ymmv
18 Backups.
19
20 get a usb stick and manually copy your stuff to it, periodically.
21
22 safe and cheap. Don't bother backing up the operating system as it
23 can be re-created. /etc is a good idea and a few other key files
24 and your personal files....
25
26 ymmv.
29 James