From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:20:02
1 >> [...] I have no expertise to decide on that matter,
2 >> but the fact that pretty much every linux distribution chooses ext3 by
3 >> default suggests it is the safest (at least for simple desktop/laptop
4 >> usage), no?
5 >
6 > fedora turns on 4k stack - well knowing that it kills xfs. Do you want to
7 > rephrase your question?
8 Well, I said I have little expertise. Won't argue.
9 >>
10 >> Somewhat offtopic:
11 >> What do you suggest for me? I care about data safety, but am too lazy
12 >> to make frequent backups, so filesystem robustness and availability of
13 >> data recovery tools is pretty important;
14 >
15 > so use whatever you want, get a nice cheap dlt from ebay and let a cronjob
16 > write to it. No 'lazy' problem. Very secure.
17
18 I live in Brasil, and due to huge taxes, poor infrastructure and the
19 currency exchange ratio, computer stuff is far more expensive than in
20 the US. And then you have to factor that the average Brazilian is much
21 poorer than the average US citizen.
22
23 But anyway, I know I must make backups, but I still want a robust
24 filesystem with good software support (such as data recovery
25 utilities). Could you give me your suggestion for the safest
26 filesystem for a desktop user that only uses 3,8G of his 54G root
27 partition? I care about speed, but I think that my usage pattern does
28 not stress the filesystem (if what Valerie Henson says is true).