From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:02:59
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008, Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > > reiserfs has barriers turned on by default - which makes it a bit slower
3 > > but a lot safer for data. ext3 has them turned off by default - ext3 devs
4 > > don't care about data - only speed. You turn on barriers, performance
5 > > goes down by 30%.
6 >
7 > I read an article about that, and if I recall correctly the assumption
8 > was that the likelihood of data loss occurring due to the barriers
9 > issue was negligible. I have no expertise to decide on that matter,
10 > but the fact that pretty much every linux distribution chooses ext3 by
11 > default suggests it is the safest (at least for simple desktop/laptop
12 > usage), no?
13
14 fedora turns on 4k stack - well knowing that it kills xfs. Do you want to
15 rephrase your question?
18 > Somewhat offtopic:
19 > What do you suggest for me? I care about data safety, but am too lazy
20 > to make frequent backups, so filesystem robustness and availability of
21 > data recovery tools is pretty important;
22
23 so use whatever you want, get a nice cheap dlt from ebay and let a cronjob
24 write to it. No 'lazy' problem. Very secure.