From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 21:34:07
1 Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Am Sun, 14 May 2017 02:18:56 +0100
4 > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
5 >
6 >> Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
7 >>
8 >> > Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:02:57 +0100
9 >> > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
10 >> >
11 >> >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
12 >> >>
13 >> [...]
14 >> [...]
15 >> [...]
16 >> >>
17 >> >> The intended users are incompetent, hence it is too difficult to
18 >> >> use ...
19 >> >
20 >> > If you incompetent users are using Windows: Have you ever tried
21 >> > entering ftp://user@××××××××.tld in the explorer directory input
22 >> > bar?
23 >>
24 >> I tried at work and it said something like that the service cannot be
25 >> accessed.
28 >> > [...]
29 >> > Debian is not the king to rule the internet. You shouldn't care when
30 >> > they shut down their FTP services. It doesn't matter to the rest of
31 >> > the world using the internet.
32 >>
33 >> Who can say what their influence actually is? Imagine Debian going
34 >> away, and all the distributions depending on them as well because they
35 >> loose their packet sources, then what remains? It is already rather
36 >> difficult to find a usable distribution, and what might the effect on
37 >> upstream sources be.
38 >
39 > The difference is: They only shut down a service. They are not
40 > vanishing from the internet. You cannot conclude from that, they are:
41 >
42 > (a) shutting down all their service
43 > (b) ftp is deprecated and nobody should use it any longer
44 >
45 > And I didn't write that you shouldn't care if Debian vanishes. I only
46 > said it shouldn't mean anything to you if they shut down their FTP
47 > services for probably good reasons. It's not the end of life, the
48 > universe, and everything. And you can keep your towel.
49 >
50 > What I wanted to say: Debian is not that important that everyone will
51 > shut down FTP now and kill FTP support from client software. That
52 > simply won't happen. That is not what it means when Debian is shutting
53 > down a service.
54
55 I didn't say that Debian is vanishing, only that I doubt that they are
56 without influence and that their influence might easily be
57 underestimated.
61 "Didn't work" is an error.