From: Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: replacement for ftp?
Date: Sun, 14 May 2017 09:48:28
1 Am Sun, 14 May 2017 02:18:56 +0100
2 schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
3
4 > Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
5 >
6 > > Am Sat, 29 Apr 2017 20:02:57 +0100
7 > > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
8 > >
9 > >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
10 > >>
11 > [...]
12 > [...]
13 > [...]
14 > >>
15 > >> The intended users are incompetent, hence it is too difficult to
16 > >> use ...
17 > >
18 > > If you incompetent users are using Windows: Have you ever tried
19 > > entering ftp://user@××××××××.tld in the explorer directory input
20 > > bar?
21 >
22 > I tried at work and it said something like that the service cannot be
23 > accessed.
26 > > [...]
27 > > Debian is not the king to rule the internet. You shouldn't care when
28 > > they shut down their FTP services. It doesn't matter to the rest of
29 > > the world using the internet.
30 >
31 > Who can say what their influence actually is? Imagine Debian going
32 > away, and all the distributions depending on them as well because they
33 > loose their packet sources, then what remains? It is already rather
34 > difficult to find a usable distribution, and what might the effect on
35 > upstream sources be.
36
37 The difference is: They only shut down a service. They are not
38 vanishing from the internet. You cannot conclude from that, they are:
39
40 (a) shutting down all their service
41 (b) ftp is deprecated and nobody should use it any longer
42
43 And I didn't write that you shouldn't care if Debian vanishes. I only
44 said it shouldn't mean anything to you if they shut down their FTP
45 services for probably good reasons. It's not the end of life, the
46 universe, and everything. And you can keep your towel.
47
48 What I wanted to say: Debian is not that important that everyone will
49 shut down FTP now and kill FTP support from client software. That
50 simply won't happen. That is not what it means when Debian is shutting
51 down a service.
55 Regards,
56 Kai
57