From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup to a cold-swap drive
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:43:19
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 2010-04-28 at 23:16 +0200, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
4
5 > After I upgraded my laptop with an internal HDD of 500 GB, I started using my
6 > old external 500 GB drive as backup. Though of different dimensions and
7 > makers, they both have the same number of sectors. So I dd'ed the entire disk
8 > first, which gave me an exact mirror of the internal disk. I though this would
9 > be faster, because I have lots of small files in some places.
10
11 I tried that, but after dd finished, I was left with strange partitions
12 and id's that I couldn't mount. The two disks are both 160Gb with the
13 same sector size...
14
15 It might be easier to do the fdisk-ing by hand.
16
17 thanks,
21 Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
22 It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
23 -- William Pitt, 1783