From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup to a cold-swap drive
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:17:11
1 Am Mittwoch, 28. April 2010 schrieb Iain Buchanan:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > A winblows colleague said he uses a utility to backup his internal hard
5 > drive to an external disk, such that if his internal disk fails he can
6 > replace it with the external disk and continue straight away.
7 >
8 > Since I go to weird locations with unreliable power and sometimes drop
9 > my laptop I thought it should be simple to do the same in Linux. I have
10 > an external disk the same size, but now what?
11 >
12 > * I want to copy changes intelligently (ie. no dd, gparted, or
13 > Ghost4Linux).
14 > * I want to copy a specific device only (no usb keys, etc) to a
15 > specific external device.
16 > * Windows partitions can be ignored.
17 > * It doesn't matter if the copy is not unmounted properly, eg. if
18 > power is shut of without shutting down.
19 > * The external disk must be able to be absent
20 >
21 > Can md use one internal and one external disk in a RAID 1 setup, with
22 > the external disk not always there? Any other suggestions?
23
24 After I upgraded my laptop with an internal HDD of 500 GB, I started using my
25 old external 500 GB drive as backup. Though of different dimensions and
26 makers, they both have the same number of sectors. So I dd'ed the entire disk
27 first, which gave me an exact mirror of the internal disk. I though this would
28 be faster, because I have lots of small files in some places.
29
30 But now I can update the backup by a simple call to rsync:
31
32 rsync -aX --delete / /dev/<backup root partition>/
33
34 -a (archive) copies permissions, ownerships and the likes
35 -X stops at file system boundaries, i.e. it will only backup the actual root
36 partition, without other mounted file systems such as /proc, /dev and /home.
37 --
38 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
39 Why did the tachyon cross the road?
40 Because it was on the other side.