From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something weird and I'm confused. BIOS and SATA is empty
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2011 15:17:00
1 On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 >> IF by the 'first screen' you mean what you see when booting up then it
4 >> may or may not be a problem. I suspect your BIOS settings got
5 >> scrambled a bit. With my Asus MB there is an option to tell it to show
6 >> the drives on the first screen or not. If BIOS gets set back to
7 >> default then I don't see them. I then go in, set the option, and then
8 >> I do see them.
9 <SNIP>
10
11 > By first screen, I mean the first screen that the BIOS pops up when booting.
12 >  You know, shows CPU, memory, drives and tells you to hit DEL to enter the
13 > BIOS config.  The second screen is the one that pops up right after the
14 > BIOS.  It is actually the SATA AHCI controller according to what it says.
15 >  It only shows up when AHCI is enabled I think.  Grub comes up after that.
16
17 On my machine your first screen is configurable. It doesn't show
18 drives by default but I have a BIOS option which turns it on.
19
20 If I fall back to BIOS #2 then I don't see the drives just like you
21 are reporting. I have fallen back to BIOS #2 a couple of times on
22 power failure. One problem on 'power supply on the bottom' chassis is
23 it puts the power cable right near my feet and I've kicked the cable
24 out of the box twice in the last 18 months. My UPS won't protect me
25 from such stupidity! ;-)
26
27 Good luck getting to the root cause.
28