From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Something weird and I'm confused. BIOS and SATA is empty
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2011 12:35:24
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Sun, Nov 6, 2011 at 7:06 AM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > <SNIP>
4 >>> IF by the 'first screen' you mean what you see when booting up then it
5 >>> may or may not be a problem. I suspect your BIOS settings got
6 >>> scrambled a bit. With my Asus MB there is an option to tell it to show
7 >>> the drives on the first screen or not. If BIOS gets set back to
8 >>> default then I don't see them. I then go in, set the option, and then
9 >>> I do see them.
10 > <SNIP>
11 >
12 >> By first screen, I mean the first screen that the BIOS pops up when booting.
13 >> You know, shows CPU, memory, drives and tells you to hit DEL to enter the
14 >> BIOS config. The second screen is the one that pops up right after the
15 >> BIOS. It is actually the SATA AHCI controller according to what it says.
16 >> It only shows up when AHCI is enabled I think. Grub comes up after that.
17 > On my machine your first screen is configurable. It doesn't show
18 > drives by default but I have a BIOS option which turns it on.
19 >
20 > If I fall back to BIOS #2 then I don't see the drives just like you
21 > are reporting. I have fallen back to BIOS #2 a couple of times on
22 > power failure. One problem on 'power supply on the bottom' chassis is
23 > it puts the power cable right near my feet and I've kicked the cable
24 > out of the box twice in the last 18 months. My UPS won't protect me
25 > from such stupidity! ;-)
26 >
27 > Good luck getting to the root cause.
28 >
29 > Cheers,
30 > Mark
34 I looked for such a option but I can't find it anywhere. It may be
35 there but I can't find it. Since it is working and the AHCI controller
36 sees the drives, I'm going to leave well enough alone.
37
38 I also rebooted to the NEW sysrescue stick and cfdisk worked fine. It
39 displayed all the drive partitions and other info just like it should.
40 I guess there was something off with cfdisk on the stick.
41
42 All this from a raccoon knocking out power. Pesky critter.
43
44 Dale
45