From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Clusters on Gentoo ?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2014 06:30:07
1 On Thursday, August 07, 2014 10:36:35 PM Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
2 > > Which operating systems does you Hadoop systems run on top of?
3 >
4 > We use RedHat, although we make a fair amount of custom RPMs. It's just
5 > too much having to deal with Gentoo while maintaining high performance
6 > filesystems and schedulers, which are apparently a real pain.
7
8 If you already make custom RPMs, why not build binary packages for a Gentoo
9 based cluster?
10
11 > > Whilst research, I ran across a FAT PAYCHECK at a startup for Hadoop
12 >
13 > expertise (California) : "Extremely competitive pay: 150-175K base
14 > salary, large bonus plan, and a generous equity stake"
15
16 I'm wondering what "Unlimited vacation policy" actually means.
17
18 > Lolz, a few of the full time staff regularly get headhunted for similar
19 > positions. I'm still a student and would like to finish the degree,
20 > though, so no high paying jobs for me yet.
21
22 Good decision.
25 Joost