From: daid kahl <daidxor@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sound on intel imac [solved]
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:16:25
1 > After my post I knuckled down and worked systematically through the
2 > model= options for ALC883/888 and ALC882/885, having gleaned from the
3 > internet that these are most similar to the 889A.  The possible choices
4 > are listed in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt.
5 > Several choices produced sound, but only this (for ALC882/885):
6
7 I had some trouble getting everything working on a newer kernel. I'll
8 post the solved results of that on this list presently.
9
10 If I didn't suggest it, pommed is a nice little daemon for using the
11 Mac hotkeys. It was doing silly things today, but once I rebuilt and
12 had the correct kernel settings, all was good.
13
14 My sound was going to 0 at around 30% today, which was some
15 interference between an older kernel and a newer kernel settings.
16 Startup gave me funny messages about the sound card whenever I'd boot
17 directly from one kernel into another, and I decided once everything
18 else was working, if I just switched to the older kernel and back to
19 the newer one, it could properly initalize itself. It worked! Who
20 knows with these things..
21
22 Let me know if you need any other hardware working, since I've got it
23 all I think. (Never tested bluetooth, but it shows up, and I deleted
24 my old IR setup since I switched away from KDE, but it worked.)
25
26 Regards,
27 daid