From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 21:41:16
1 »Q« wrote:
2 > On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:11:22 -0500
3 > Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 >>> On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 01:21:37 PM Dale wrote:
7 >>>> J. Roeleveld wrote:
8 >>>> Once in there, I found lots of things to help get things to where
9 >>>> I could work with them. I found out that I could add multiple
10 >>>> desktops back and at that point, the desktop pager thingy appeared
11 >>>> and worked. I guess when it is set to 1 desktop, it doesn't show
12 >>>> up or something.
13 >>> Which seems logical behaviour to me. And the same happened here
14 >>> after configuring it.
15 >> It is logical. I knew I had to enable multiple desktops but since the
16 >> settings thing wasn't working, I couldn't figure out how to enable
17 >> it. When I did a google search, I saw where several folks said it was
18 >> gone which caused me great concern. I got to much stuff going on
19 >> right now to redo my whole setup.
20 > The whining about it being "gone" in your search results is probably
21 > because an important (to some people) feature is gone -- you can't have
22 > different backgrounds and widgets on different virtual desktops within
23 > the same activity any more. Apparently that feature was buggy in
24 > KDE 4, though I never had problems with it, so they decided to ditch
25 > it. They have a plan to re-implement it, but I have no idea how long
26 > it might take.
27 >
28 > Earlier you said the new desktop didn't pick up any of the old KDE 4
29 > settings; I can't find that post, so I'm replying here. For me, it
30 > picked up a few at least. Under KDE 4, I had changed my "location"
31 > directories, e.g. the pictures and music directories, and Plasma 5
32 > kept my locations intact. I also had a couple of scripts in
33 > autostart, and Plasma 5 is using them; I'm not sure if it copied them
34 > to a new location or just left them where they were.
39 I found a couple articles/blogs about it but once I got to the point
40 that it was gone, I just figured it was gone all together. I read one
41 of them pretty well since it was the one that was most on point and
42 recently written and it sounded like multiple desktops was just gone
43 completely. I just hope that person eventually runs up on that setting
44 so they can get it back. Of course, that said, I could make the
45 activity thing work but it would be one more thing to get used to. I
46 was getting there with it. One day, I just may switch to it because the
47 multiple desktops may be gone one day. It's been around a long time
48 already.
49
50 On the fresh config, I noticed that too. At first, it seemed to start
51 out fresh but while digging around and getting to some things that were
52 not on the top of my list, I found some settings that were the same as
53 before but doubtful they would be a default. So, it seems that some
54 settings that they knew should work did get moved over. Still tho,
55 given the huge change, I wonder if a fresh start may not be a better
56 plan? I guess it depends on just how much was changed, which is likely
57 a LOT.
58
59 After using a day or so now, it has some good points. It seems faster
60 but can't quite put my finger on it. While some things are different
61 they do work fairly well. It's much better than KDE3 to KDE4 type thing
62 for sure. Only really bad thing, I still get the plasma crash pop up
63 and I have to click for it to restart and close the pop up. It's
64 annoying but at least it restarts and works just like before. I did do
65 a emerge -e world and restart everything. It still crashes at times so
66 it isn't some code mismatch. I'm going to dig around and see if I can
67 find some unstable packages to run for a while and see if they have a fix.
68
69 Overall tho, it works. Different but works. It is leaps and bounds
70 better than hal. Don't get me started on hal. ;-)
71
72 Dale
73