From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 13:43:40
1 On Tue, 12 Apr 2016 22:11:22 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 > > On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 01:21:37 PM Dale wrote:
6 > >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
7
8 > >> Once in there, I found lots of things to help get things to where
9 > >> I could work with them. I found out that I could add multiple
10 > >> desktops back and at that point, the desktop pager thingy appeared
11 > >> and worked. I guess when it is set to 1 desktop, it doesn't show
12 > >> up or something.
13
14 > > Which seems logical behaviour to me. And the same happened here
15 > > after configuring it.
16 >
17 > It is logical. I knew I had to enable multiple desktops but since the
18 > settings thing wasn't working, I couldn't figure out how to enable
19 > it. When I did a google search, I saw where several folks said it was
20 > gone which caused me great concern. I got to much stuff going on
21 > right now to redo my whole setup.
22
23 The whining about it being "gone" in your search results is probably
24 because an important (to some people) feature is gone -- you can't have
25 different backgrounds and widgets on different virtual desktops within
26 the same activity any more. Apparently that feature was buggy in
27 KDE 4, though I never had problems with it, so they decided to ditch
28 it. They have a plan to re-implement it, but I have no idea how long
29 it might take.
30
31 Earlier you said the new desktop didn't pick up any of the old KDE 4
32 settings; I can't find that post, so I'm replying here. For me, it
33 picked up a few at least. Under KDE 4, I had changed my "location"
34 directories, e.g. the pictures and music directories, and Plasma 5
35 kept my locations intact. I also had a couple of scripts in
36 autostart, and Plasma 5 is using them; I'm not sure if it copied them
37 to a new location or just left them where they were.