From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 03:11:43
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 01:21:37 PM Dale wrote:
3 >> J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 02:04:47 AM Dale wrote:
5 >>>> <<< SNIP >>>
6 >>>>
7 >>>>
8 >>>> Dale
9 >>>>
10 >>>> :-) :-)
11 >>> Dale,
12 >>>
13 >>> Considering the amount of changes, did you reboot the system or at least
14 >>> killed everything running at least once?
15 >>>
16 >>> That should also help with the stability.
17 >>>
18 >>> Also, I used the following 2 meta-packages:
19 >>> kde-apps/kde-apps-meta
20 >>> kde-plasma/plasma-meta
21 >>>
22 >>> This gave me most stuff, including the configuration for virtual desktop
23 >>> in the same place (SystemSettings)
24 >>>
25 >>> Start that, then search for "Virtual Desktops" and the only working icon
26 >>> is
27 >>> where you need to be.
28 >>>
29 >>> The pager thing to select the virtual desktops appears magically then.
30 >>>
31 >>> --
32 >>> Joost
33 >> Update and some info for Joost.
34 > Thanks, as I now have a bit more time, I will add my own thoughts as well.
35 >
36 >> I been playing with this a while and found some things. First, I had to
37 >> get to the settings part which would only give a error working. When I
38 >> got to the edit part, I figured out that for some reason, it was still
39 >> trying to run the KDE4 command, which was removed during the upgrade of
40 >> course. So, I got that back by giving it the new command,
41 >> systemsettings5 I think was it. That helped.
42 > Hmm, I actually started it from the K-menu. When it's opened, you can search
43 > through all the entries by simply typing.
44 > I did do an " emerge --depclean " before trying to configure things. Eg.
45 > systemsettings for kde4 disappeared already.
46
47 That is sort of what I was trying to do except I was looking for the
48 actual menu entry. The problem is, the one for settings was not using
49 the correct command. I'm not sure what to think about that. Anyway,
50 after I fixed that, that lead to a lot more fixes on other things.
53 >> Once in there, I found
54 >> lots of things to help get things to where I could work with them. I
55 >> found out that I could add multiple desktops back and at that point, the
56 >> desktop pager thingy appeared and worked. I guess when it is set to 1
57 >> desktop, it doesn't show up or something.
58 > Which seems logical behaviour to me. And the same happened here after
59 > configuring it.
62 It is logical. I knew I had to enable multiple desktops but since the
63 settings thing wasn't working, I couldn't figure out how to enable it.
64 When I did a google search, I saw where several folks said it was gone
65 which caused me great concern. I got to much stuff going on right now
66 to redo my whole setup.
69 >> I also got it to where it
70 >> wouldn't turn my monitor off and lock the screen if I turned my head a
71 >> minute.
72 > I use my laptop also when at "public" places, like at a customer. Which means
73 > the auto-lock-screen-after-5-minutes is a useful feature.
74 > Now if only I could have that time auto-adjusted based on the network it's
75 > connected to? :)
76
77 Yea, the setting it had would be good for a public place or a laptop
78 that can be any number of places. For my desktop tho, it was way to
79 quick. Actually, I disabled the lock part. I just want my monitor to
80 turn off after a while. If I want to lock the screen, I just use the
81 keyboard shortcut ctrl alt L.
84 >> Then I found out how to adjust the size of fonts in a lot of
85 >> other places. Now that helped a lot. I was using a magnifying glass to
86 >> read some stuff. I also set the numlock to on. I have numbers in my
87 >> password and that was getting annoying to have to turn on.
88 >>
89 >> I very rarely reboot. After a big upgrade, I just go to single user,
90 >> use the checkrestart command to be sure and then go back to default
91 >> runlevel. I also generally clear the cache and such too. I restart or
92 >> kill anything checkrestart shows if needed.
93 > I had issues where checkrestart wouldn't kill enough, or didn't notice changes
94 > to configuration. Hibernate (eg. suspend-to-disk) didn't work from kde until I
95 > rebooted.
96
97 I've never had that here. It seems to always work for me but you may
98 have something installed that I don't.
99
100 >> I do have those packages installed. I emerged plasma-meta and that
101 >> pulled in a lot. Since I run some unstable stuff already, I had to
102 >> adjust some things to get emerge happy. After that, it was a large
103 >> download and a lot of compile time.
104 > Those 2 pull in nearly everything.
105 >
106 >> As it is, the biggest thing is that it doesn't seem to carry over
107 >> settings from KDE4. It seems to start out fresh just like if it was a
108 >> clean install.
109 > That is actually mentioned in the upgrade-guide. Just not in so-many words.
110 > I actually think that's a good thing as a lot of the issues I had when first
111 > switching to KDE4 was caused by left-over settings from KDE3. A fresh start
112 > helped a lot.
113
114 If I recall correctly, when I did the upgrade from KDE3 to KDE4, I tried
115 to use my old settings. It was a mess. I ended up renaming the
116 directory and starting fresh. Some things were just weird. Thing is,
117 it was hard to figure out if it was a bad config or just a bug that
118 needed fixing. As we likely recall, that switch was less than smooth
119 for a lot of people.
122 >> Other than that, it's OK. I still get the occasional
123 >> plasma crash tho. It's not as often but it still pops up on occasion.
124 > I've had 1 today, when I clicked on the up-pointing triangle to get all the
125 > hidden systray items. That was, so far, the only one.
126
127 I think I've had two today here. It seems to be getting better
128 somehow. I'm not sure if it is me changing settings or what tho.
129
130 >> I may start a emerge -e world. I haven't done that in a while anyway
131 >> and it usually clears up weird issues that can't quite be figured out.
132 >>
133 >> Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
134 >> from kdm to sddm and it just works.
135 > Same here, and mentioned in the upgrade-guide.
136 > I actually did the change to SDDM before switching to KDE5/Plasma.
137 >
138 >> It looks different but it works
139 >> fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
140 >> and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
141 >> different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
142 >> settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
143 > Yes, you can.
144 > Google for " sddm themes ".
145 > They go in " /usr/share/sddm/themes "
146 >
147 > The OCD one looks like the KDM Oxygen theme...
148
149 I may do that. I'm bad to search for Gentoo themes. lol I usually
150 like them well enough. Thing is, I don't get to see sddm much.
153 > Now for my thoughts:
154 >
155 > I haven't found a decent colourscheme yet (There wasn't one for KDE4 either)
156 >
157 > Most of the apps are ok, just waiting for KDevelop 5 to appear in the tree.
158 >
159 > My biggest complaint though:
160 > KSnapshot has disappeared and been replaced by " Spectacle ".
161 > It might be a technically better solution, but the primary reason I absolutely
162 > love KSnapshot is it's ability to quickly take a new snapshot of the same
163 > region (adjusting slightly when necessary) and then it defaulting to the next-
164 > numbered filename in the same folder when selecting "Save As".
165 >
166 > With Spectacle I end up having to redefine the region every single time and
167 > having to click multiple times to get to Save As and then it always goes back
168 > to some Pictures folder. The quick-save (which includes a Quit-action) uses
169 > timestamps.
170 > In other words, I end up spending more time clicking needlessly during my
171 > work, or renaming manually after the activity is finished.
172 >
173 > --
174 > Joost
179 I kind of liked ksnapshot but rarely used it. It is really easy to
180 use. I'll look into that other one and see what I can figure out with it.
181
182 Dale
183
185
186 P. S. Maybe now that I got my puter up to date, I can finish changing
187 that clutch on the tractor. I'm almost to the clutch now. o_O