From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 19:04:23
1 On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 01:21:37 PM Dale wrote:
2 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 02:04:47 AM Dale wrote:
4 > >> <<< SNIP >>>
5 > >>
6 > >>
7 > >> Dale
8 > >>
9 > >> :-) :-)
10 > >
11 > > Dale,
12 > >
13 > > Considering the amount of changes, did you reboot the system or at least
14 > > killed everything running at least once?
15 > >
16 > > That should also help with the stability.
17 > >
18 > > Also, I used the following 2 meta-packages:
19 > > kde-apps/kde-apps-meta
20 > > kde-plasma/plasma-meta
21 > >
22 > > This gave me most stuff, including the configuration for virtual desktop
23 > > in the same place (SystemSettings)
24 > >
25 > > Start that, then search for "Virtual Desktops" and the only working icon
26 > > is
27 > > where you need to be.
28 > >
29 > > The pager thing to select the virtual desktops appears magically then.
30 > >
31 > > --
32 > > Joost
33 >
34 > Update and some info for Joost.
35
36 Thanks, as I now have a bit more time, I will add my own thoughts as well.
37
38 > I been playing with this a while and found some things. First, I had to
39 > get to the settings part which would only give a error working. When I
40 > got to the edit part, I figured out that for some reason, it was still
41 > trying to run the KDE4 command, which was removed during the upgrade of
42 > course. So, I got that back by giving it the new command,
43 > systemsettings5 I think was it. That helped.
44
45 Hmm, I actually started it from the K-menu. When it's opened, you can search
46 through all the entries by simply typing.
47 I did do an " emerge --depclean " before trying to configure things. Eg.
48 systemsettings for kde4 disappeared already.
49
50 > Once in there, I found
51 > lots of things to help get things to where I could work with them. I
52 > found out that I could add multiple desktops back and at that point, the
53 > desktop pager thingy appeared and worked. I guess when it is set to 1
54 > desktop, it doesn't show up or something.
55
56 Which seems logical behaviour to me. And the same happened here after
57 configuring it.
58
59 > I also got it to where it
60 > wouldn't turn my monitor off and lock the screen if I turned my head a
61 > minute.
62
63 I use my laptop also when at "public" places, like at a customer. Which means
64 the auto-lock-screen-after-5-minutes is a useful feature.
65 Now if only I could have that time auto-adjusted based on the network it's
66 connected to? :)
67
68 > Then I found out how to adjust the size of fonts in a lot of
69 > other places. Now that helped a lot. I was using a magnifying glass to
70 > read some stuff. I also set the numlock to on. I have numbers in my
71 > password and that was getting annoying to have to turn on.
72 >
73 > I very rarely reboot. After a big upgrade, I just go to single user,
74 > use the checkrestart command to be sure and then go back to default
75 > runlevel. I also generally clear the cache and such too. I restart or
76 > kill anything checkrestart shows if needed.
77
78 I had issues where checkrestart wouldn't kill enough, or didn't notice changes
79 to configuration. Hibernate (eg. suspend-to-disk) didn't work from kde until I
80 rebooted.
81
82 > I do have those packages installed. I emerged plasma-meta and that
83 > pulled in a lot. Since I run some unstable stuff already, I had to
84 > adjust some things to get emerge happy. After that, it was a large
85 > download and a lot of compile time.
86
87 Those 2 pull in nearly everything.
88
89 > As it is, the biggest thing is that it doesn't seem to carry over
90 > settings from KDE4. It seems to start out fresh just like if it was a
91 > clean install.
92
93 That is actually mentioned in the upgrade-guide. Just not in so-many words.
94 I actually think that's a good thing as a lot of the issues I had when first
95 switching to KDE4 was caused by left-over settings from KDE3. A fresh start
96 helped a lot.
97
98 > Other than that, it's OK. I still get the occasional
99 > plasma crash tho. It's not as often but it still pops up on occasion.
100
101 I've had 1 today, when I clicked on the up-pointing triangle to get all the
102 hidden systray items. That was, so far, the only one.
103
104 > I may start a emerge -e world. I haven't done that in a while anyway
105 > and it usually clears up weird issues that can't quite be figured out.
106 >
107 > Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
108 > from kdm to sddm and it just works.
109
110 Same here, and mentioned in the upgrade-guide.
111 I actually did the change to SDDM before switching to KDE5/Plasma.
112
113 > It looks different but it works
114 > fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
115 > and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
116 > different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
117 > settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
118
119 Yes, you can.
120 Google for " sddm themes ".
121 They go in " /usr/share/sddm/themes "
122
123 The OCD one looks like the KDM Oxygen theme...
124
125 Now for my thoughts:
126
127 I haven't found a decent colourscheme yet (There wasn't one for KDE4 either)
128
129 Most of the apps are ok, just waiting for KDevelop 5 to appear in the tree.
130
131 My biggest complaint though:
132 KSnapshot has disappeared and been replaced by " Spectacle ".
133 It might be a technically better solution, but the primary reason I absolutely
134 love KSnapshot is it's ability to quickly take a new snapshot of the same
135 region (adjusting slightly when necessary) and then it defaulting to the next-
136 numbered filename in the same folder when selecting "Save As".
137
138 With Spectacle I end up having to redefine the region every single time and
139 having to click multiple times to get to Save As and then it always goes back
140 to some Pictures folder. The quick-save (which includes a Quit-action) uses
141 timestamps.
142 In other words, I end up spending more time clicking needlessly during my
143 work, or renaming manually after the activity is finished.
146 Joost