From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and the new plasma 5 thing
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 18:21:55
1 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, April 12, 2016 02:04:47 AM Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> <<< SNIP >>>
7 >> Dale
8 >>
9 >> :-) :-)
10 > Dale,
11 >
12 > Considering the amount of changes, did you reboot the system or at least
13 > killed everything running at least once?
14 >
15 > That should also help with the stability.
16 >
17 > Also, I used the following 2 meta-packages:
18 > kde-apps/kde-apps-meta
19 > kde-plasma/plasma-meta
20 >
21 > This gave me most stuff, including the configuration for virtual desktop in the
22 > same place (SystemSettings)
23 >
24 > Start that, then search for "Virtual Desktops" and the only working icon is
25 > where you need to be.
26 >
27 > The pager thing to select the virtual desktops appears magically then.
28 >
29 > --
30 > Joost
34 Update and some info for Joost.
35
36 I been playing with this a while and found some things. First, I had to
37 get to the settings part which would only give a error working. When I
38 got to the edit part, I figured out that for some reason, it was still
39 trying to run the KDE4 command, which was removed during the upgrade of
40 course. So, I got that back by giving it the new command,
41 systemsettings5 I think was it. That helped. Once in there, I found
42 lots of things to help get things to where I could work with them. I
43 found out that I could add multiple desktops back and at that point, the
44 desktop pager thingy appeared and worked. I guess when it is set to 1
45 desktop, it doesn't show up or something. I also got it to where it
46 wouldn't turn my monitor off and lock the screen if I turned my head a
47 minute. Then I found out how to adjust the size of fonts in a lot of
48 other places. Now that helped a lot. I was using a magnifying glass to
49 read some stuff. I also set the numlock to on. I have numbers in my
50 password and that was getting annoying to have to turn on.
51
52 I very rarely reboot. After a big upgrade, I just go to single user,
53 use the checkrestart command to be sure and then go back to default
54 runlevel. I also generally clear the cache and such too. I restart or
55 kill anything checkrestart shows if needed.
56
57 I do have those packages installed. I emerged plasma-meta and that
58 pulled in a lot. Since I run some unstable stuff already, I had to
59 adjust some things to get emerge happy. After that, it was a large
60 download and a lot of compile time.
61
62 As it is, the biggest thing is that it doesn't seem to carry over
63 settings from KDE4. It seems to start out fresh just like if it was a
64 clean install. Other than that, it's OK. I still get the occasional
65 plasma crash tho. It's not as often but it still pops up on occasion.
66 I may start a emerge -e world. I haven't done that in a while anyway
67 and it usually clears up weird issues that can't quite be figured out.
68
69 Oh, I had to switch to sddm for this too. You just change the setting
70 from kdm to sddm and it just works. It looks different but it works
71 fine. That may have carried over some settings. It selected the user
72 and was ready for my password just like kdm did. Again, it looks
73 different but it seems to work the same. I suspect one could adjust the
74 settings, somewhere, and make it look like kdm if they wanted to.
75
76 Thanks.
77
78 Dale