From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: udev + /usr
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 14:26:07
1 On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 10:30:41 +0200
2 Nicolas Sebrecht <nsebrecht@×××××.fr> wrote:
3
4 > The 17/09/11, pk wrote:
5 >
6 > > dbus is installed in my system, but only because I run Xfce4 (I am
7 > > thinking of installing something else due to it's becoming bloated
8 > > just like gnome). And I have "-dbus" in my global make.conf.
9 > >
10 > > PS. I am quite astonished at the fact that I have a computer that is
11 > > _way_ faster than the first machine I installed GNU/Linux (an Amiga
12 > > 4000 with a 68040 cpu at 40Mhz) on but the "experience" is still
13 > > the same; it takes about the same time to boot, the same time (or
14 > > even slower) to load a program. It seems the faster the computer
15 > > the more I have to wait for it to finish some task. Contradictory,
16 > > no? Wonder why that is... (bloat?).
17 >
18 > Believe it or not but I bet you're not doing the same tasks with your
19 > modern machine and could just not run the user-end software you use
20 > today on a Amiga 4000 with a 68040 cpu at 40Mhz because they learn new
21 > feature since then.
22
23 :-) Example:
24
25 Try run a browser on that Amiga. I doubt it would even manage to
26 display the Gentoo logo at http://www.gentoo.org.
27
28 And forget all about playing music.
32 Alan McKinnnon