From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: iptables w/ 2 web servers
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 03:48:20
1 On 23 Sep 2009, at 22:35, James wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I have one static IP
4 > ... Could someone post
5 > some simple iptable examples of how to route 2 different
6 > web server traffic streams to 2 different machines?
7 >
8 > Both are inside the same DMZ....2 different machines
9 > with different (NAT) IP addresses.
10
11 Can't be done.
12
13 Inherently, a client requesting a webpage looks up the IP address for
14 bigbreastedmommas.com, finds its 24.73.161.102 (or whatever) and send
15 an http request to port 80 of that IP.
16
17 There is no way for IPtables to distinguish between an http request to
18 bigbreastedmommas.com at 24.73.161.102 and an http request to
19 bouncyboobs.com at 24.73.161.102, assuming both are on port 80.
20
21 I would LOVE to be proved wrong on this, because it would be immensely
22 useful for NATted geeks. However an iptables module to do this
23 certainly did not exist in the past, and I'm guessing there are
24 protocol-specific reasons why it can't be done.
25
26 What you can do is forward port 80 to one machine and have that proxy
27 to the other when necessary. Or have it redirect to the other, which
28 listens on port 81.
29
30 Stroller.