From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HELP! partition table is corrupted
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 03:30:34
1 On 23 Mar 2008, at 12:18, pat wrote:
2
3 > Couple of other questions and situation update:
4 > - there were not writes to the disk - this is good I think
5
6 Yes.
7
8 > - is the photorec able to search data in this partition table
9 > corruption level?
10
11 Read the tool's homepage. But I'm pretty sure it just looks at the
12 bits on the drive and saves any collection of said bits which match
13 specification for a jpeg, doc &c file. I.E. no remaining filesystem
14 is needed, it does exactly what you need (although filenames aren't
15 preserved. I don't know about the other suggestions, so they might be
16 worth trying first.
17
18 > - I'm going to buy a new disk and to make dd of the corrupted one
19
20 Very wise!!
21
22 Do this FIRST! BEFORE you do anything else. Then you can always dd
23 the drive back to its current state and try a different method if the
24 first fails.
25
26 Stroller.
27 --