From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] HELP! partition table is corrupted
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 14:29:32
1 * Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > >- is the photorec able to search data in this partition table
4 > >corruption level?
5 >
6 > Read the tool's homepage. But I'm pretty sure it just looks at the
7 > bits on the drive and saves any collection of said bits which match
8 > specification for a jpeg, doc &c file. I.E. no remaining filesystem
9 > is needed, it does exactly what you need (although filenames aren't
10 > preserved. I don't know about the other suggestions, so they might be
11 > worth trying first.
12
13 Yes, photorec is an completely different thing. It scans through
14 all blocks on disk and tries to find out what kind of files they
15 might belong to.
16
17 This way you can reconstruct a lot of files if you lost the fs'
18 metadata (which can happen easily on FAT :(). But this is an
19 heuristic, not an stable approach. So you have to look through
20 all reconstructed files if they're really okay.
21
22 If just the partition table is broken, you shouldn't play with
23 this - use testdisk instead.
26 cu
27 --
29 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
31 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
32 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
33 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
34 http://patches.metux.de/
36 --
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list