From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: detailed information about USE flags?
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 05:24:34
1 · Alan E. Davis <lngndvs@×××××.com>:
2
3 > I don't want to have to
4 > do emerge --newuse yadayada very often...
5
6 ?
7 --newuse is only needed, if you change global USE flags. There
8 shouldn't be many flags you set globally, ie. in /etc/make.conf.
9 Instead, set the USE flags in /etc/portage/package.use.
10
11 > Can someone point me to more information on USE flags,
12
13 I don't think your question can be answered "globally". What a
14 USE flag does, is highly dependent upon the package which employs
15 this flag. And generally, the name of the flag should be quite
16 self explanatory - or at least the description should show, what
17 it does (I use "euse -i $flag" to get the description).
18
19 But if you need in detail information, you'll have to check out
20 the ebuild and see what it does.
23 Alexander Skwar
24 --
25 "There are things that are so serious that you can only joke about them"
26 - Heisenberg
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list