From: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck@×××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: rhythmbox plays silently
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 20:30:55
1 Hal Martin <hal.martin <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > Michael Schmarck wrote:
5 > > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> wrote:
8 > >> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
9 > >> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
10 > >> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
11 > >> little useful information.
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
15 > > don't need more information.
18 > >> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
19 > >> was.
20 > >>
21 > >
22 > > That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help, where as
23 > > you were just a moron.
24 > >
25 > Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
26 > like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
27 > who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)
28 > >
29 > >> Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:
30 > >>
31 > >
32 > > How nice from you, now that the problem has been solved.
33 > >
34 > Yes, I'm aware that this particular problem has been solved, however I'd
35 > still like to highlight a few things about it.
36 > >
37 > >> 1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
38 > >> hardware you have
39 > >>
40 > >
41 > > Why should that matter? After all, sound playback works (in other
42 > > programs).
43 > >
44 > It doesn't matter, but it's information people care about.
45
46 Fine. Do you also care about the size of my shoes? It's a german
47 46 - and yes, I *do* think, that it is just as important. :)
48
49 > It helps us
50 > to do our voodoo stuff and get back to you with an answer (it's quantity
51 > over quality at this point of the answering stage.)
52 > >
53 > >> 2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
54 > >> apps work correctly on your box?
55 > >>
56 > >
57 > > That was the million dollar question.
58 > >
59 > Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
60 > isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the
63 You mean Alan? He hasn't been helpful at all. I don't see, why such
64 people should not be blown off.
65
66 First he tried to be "funny" with his snide KDE remark. Then he
67 wrote non-helpful (and as it turned out: wrong) comments about
68 some non-existant circular dependencies. And he also failed to
69 correctly read the gst-plugins-meta ebuild. No, he was not helpful
70 at all.
73 > >> 3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
74 > >> applicable)?
75 > >>
76 > >
77 > > Does not matter.
78 > >
79 > Actually, it does.
80
81 No, it does not. It doesn't have any USE flags that would matter
82 there.
83
84 Anyway, it's been compiled with these flags:
85
86 [ebuild R ] media-sound/rhythmbox-0.11.2-r1 USE="-daap dbus -debug -doc
87 -flac hal -ipod -keyring libnotify -lirc mad -musicbrainz python tagwriting
88 vorbis" 3,454 kB
89
90 No, there's no important information. As I said, rb was able to play
91 the file. There just wasn't any sound.
92
93 > Contrary to your belief that programs have the
94 > ability to read your mind
95
96 Just don't assume that I'm doing that, just because you're so naive.
97
98 > and compile with all the flags they need to
99 > function in every foreseeable way, real world applications need flags.
100
101 Oh, really? Tell news! But you know what, rb doesn't need any additional
102 flags. And you already knew that.
103
104 > Posting them with your question allows for the quantity of answers to go
105 > down, while the quality of the remaining ones to improve greatly.
106 > Knowing from the beginning that you compiled GStreamer with -oss but not
107 > alsa would've helped greatly.
108
109 What? I have alsa set. And -oss. But this information was not necessary,
110 because the problem was caused by the "bug" that rb used to depend on
111 gst-plugins-base and that -base used to have alsa/oss/what-not use flags.
112 That's no longer the case. Instead applications now need to depend on
113 gst-plugins-meta - and that's the case with rhythmbox of Gnome 2.22.
114
115 > >> 4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
116 > >> indeed using alsa and not oss
117 > >>
118 > >
119 > > Question 2 covers that.
120 > >
121 > No, it doesn't.
122
123 Yes, it does.
124
125 > You just deferred your answer instead of actually
126 > confirming that the rhythmbox *engine* used either ALSA or OSS.
127
128 Because it doesn't matter. rb uses gst. gst may use either engine.
129 No engine was installed. Reason: Missing dependencies (but that's
130 rectified in rhythmbox 2.22, per what Marduk wrote).
131
132 > > Michael
135 > Not trying to start a flame war between anywhere here, but I'm just
136 > trying to make a point. Posting information, no matter how useless it
137 > may seem to you, helps us help you. For example,
138
139 No, that's not good. Only relevant information should be posted.
140 It's no good to "flood" people (or "supporters") with unrelated
141 and not important information. Instead, it's good to only send
142 important information.
143
144 > Again, not trying to restart any disagreements previously stemming from
145 > this topic, I'm just trying to establish a clear method for reporting
146 > problems so that we cut out all the "guess work" on the part of the
147 > person answering the question.
148
149 I posted all the relevant information. So I really don't see what
150 you're trying to get at. And as it turned out, the problem I reported
151 was just because I did not have gst-plugins-alsa (or -oss) installed,
152 which was because gst-plugins-base no longer installs that. I indicated
153 that I'm using ~x86, so you knew what versions I'm using (the latest,
154 of course - if not, I would've of course said so).
155
156 Michael
159 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list