From: Hal Martin <hal.martin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: rhythmbox plays silently
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 22:04:51
1 Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even attempt
6 >> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same problem
7 >> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
8 >> little useful information.
11 > What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
12 > don't need more information.
15 >> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
16 >> was.
19 > That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help, where as
20 > you were just a moron.
21 >
22 Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
23 like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
24 who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)
25 >
26 >> Nonetheless I shall try, so please provide the following:
29 > How nice from you, now that the problem has been solved.
30 >
31 Yes, I'm aware that this particular problem has been solved, however I'd
32 still like to highlight a few things about it.
33 >
34 >> 1. the output of lspci as it relates to audio so we can see what
35 >> hardware you have
38 > Why should that matter? After all, sound playback works (in other
39 > programs).
40 >
41 It doesn't matter, but it's information people care about. It helps us
42 to do our voodoo stuff and get back to you with an answer (it's quantity
43 over quality at this point of the answering stage.)
44 >
45 >> 2. What engine does rhythmbox use? gstreamer? If so, do other gstreamer
46 >> apps work correctly on your box?
49 > That was the million dollar question.
50 >
51 Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
52 isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the
55 >> 3. With what options did you compile rhythmbox and gstreamer (if
56 >> applicable)?
59 > Does not matter.
60 >
61 Actually, it does. Contrary to your belief that programs have the
62 ability to read your mind and compile with all the flags they need to
63 function in every foreseeable way, real world applications need flags.
64 Posting them with your question allows for the quantity of answers to go
65 down, while the quality of the remaining ones to improve greatly.
66 Knowing from the beginning that you compiled GStreamer with -oss but not
67 alsa would've helped greatly.
68 >
69 >> 4. Lastly, this is out on left field, please confirm that rhythmbox is
70 >> indeed using alsa and not oss
73 > Question 2 covers that.
74 >
75 No, it doesn't. You just deferred your answer instead of actually
76 confirming that the rhythmbox *engine* used either ALSA or OSS.
77 > Michael
80 Not trying to start a flame war between anywhere here, but I'm just
81 trying to make a point. Posting information, no matter how useless it
82 may seem to you, helps us help you. For example,
83
84 "Hey group! My mplayer doesn't play sound! I get some generic error
85 about the sound card not being available..."
86
87 Now, there are so many answers to that, and you will be frustrated
88 because people will start touting their favourite software with things
89 like, "Mplayer sucks, use Songbird" "Songbird sucks, it's bloated, use
90 Rhythmbox!" "Rhythmbox is buggy, use Amarok!" "Amarok is KDE based, I
91 hate KDE and everything that's based on it, Gnome rules!"
92
93 Then the slightly more useful questions start, "Well, was mplayer
94 compiled with the alsa USE flag?" "Do other applications play sound?"
95 Etc, etc.
96
97 However, if you'd posted the original error along with your system
98 information, we forgo all the unpleasant favouritism and instead, get
99 strained answers that will actually help you solve the problem, keeping
100 all parties [hopefully] happy!
101
102 "Hey group! My mplayer doesn't play sound?
103
104 Here's my USE flags:"xft xcomposite threads dbus libfreetype freetype
105 firefox xulrunner dvdread lfreetype ftgl gtk X glx usb mplayer a52 hwac3
106 ac3 ldap GPAC gpac x264 mp4 mp3 mad madplay libmp3 ogg flac alsa oss png
107 jpg jpeg selinux hal ffmpeg encode vorbis chroot opengl mysql tiff gnome
108 kde 3dnow 3dnowext aac encode gif ftp mp2 v4l v4l2 httpd sdl sdl-image
109 xvid xv cvidix -rdynamic -zlib"
110
111 Here's the output of 'mplayer awesomemusic.mp3'
112 MPlayer dev-SVN-rUNKNOWN-4.1.2 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
113 CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ (Family: 15, Model:
114 43, Stepping: 1)
115 CPUflags: MMX: 1 MMX2: 1 3DNow: 1 3DNow2: 1 SSE: 1 SSE2: 1
116 Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE SSE2
117
118 Playing Justin Timberlake - What Goes Around.mp3.
119 Audio file file format detected.
120 Clip info:
121 Title: The awesomeness!
122 Artist: Awesome band!
123 Album: AWESOME!
124 Year: 2008
125 Comment:
126 Track:
127 Genre:
128 ==========================================================================
129 Opening audio decoder: [mp3lib] MPEG layer-2, layer-3
130 AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 192.0 kbit/13.61% (ratio: 24000->176400)
131 Selected audio codec: [mp3] afm: mp3lib (mp3lib MPEG layer-2, layer-3)
132 ==========================================================================
133 [AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
134 resource busy
135 [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
136 [AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Device or resource busy
137 [AO SDL] Samplerate: 44100Hz Channels: Stereo Format s16le
138 [AO_ALSA] alsa-lib: pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
139 [AO SDL] Unable to open audio: No available audio device
140 AO: [null] 44100Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
141 Video: no video
142 Starting playback...
143 A: 3.5 (03.5) of 448.0 (07:28.0) 1.0%
144
145 MPlayer interrupted by signal 2 in module: play_audio
146
147 Thanks!"
148
149 Oh look, we have the program version, we know what it was built with,
150 and we have the exact output from the program regarding the error. In
151 this case, the answer is that I played one track with mplayer and then
152 attempted to play another (knowing what would happen) and then went
153 about posting the output for your benefit.
154
155 Again, not trying to restart any disagreements previously stemming from
156 this topic, I'm just trying to establish a clear method for reporting
157 problems so that we cut out all the "guess work" on the part of the
158 person answering the question.
159
160 -Hal
161 --