From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: rhythmbox plays silently
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 19:11:41
1 On 28 Mar 2008, at 22:01, Hal Martin wrote:
2 > Michael Schmarck wrote:
3 >> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Now, onto your actual problem. It is exceptionally hard to even
6 >>> attempt
7 >>> to provide a solution unless someone else fixed the exact same
8 >>> problem
9 >>> before, as you have not provided any configuration at all and very
10 >>> little useful information.
11 >>
12 >> What would you have wanted to see? I wrote that sound works. You
13 >> don't need more information.
14 >>
15 >>> Hence your post was as much noise as mine
16 >>> was.
17 >>
18 >> That's why other people, or at least Andrey, was able to help,
19 >> where as
20 >> you were just a moron.
21 >
22 > Not to dig up this unpleasantness again, but there are some things I'd
23 > like to point out for future reference (for all people, including me,
24 > who will post questions with hopes of getting useful answers.)
25 ...
26 > Great, and now you've noticed that Totem, another GStreamer program,
27 > isn't outputting sound. Therefore, instead of just blowing off the
31 Hi there,
32
33 I, too, thought about saying something like this at the time. I'm
34 glad you have done so and I agree with all your points.
38 Michael:
39
40 Alan's reply was harmless. You're not entitled to pick on him unless
41 you posted correctly in the first place.
42
43 You're asking for help - provide as much information as possible and
44 please don't antagonise people (especially because they may be able
45 to help you!).
46
47 If you want help then it's YOUR responsibility to provide as much
48 information as possible. Help people to help you, and make it easy
49 for them to do so. Providing a dearth of information requires
50 respondents to type more, making suggestions which accommodate all
51 the possibilities which you've failed to eliminate.
52
53 Oftentimes, just making the effort to demonstrate your problem
54 correctly - for example showing permissions with `ls -l /dev/audio`
55 and `grep audio /etc/group` - will show you the problem lies. You'll
56 slap your forehead, curse yourself, take a little pride in having
57 solved the problem yourself, learn something, and save you troubling
58 others with your problem.
59
60 Othertimes making a post can take hours, compiling relevant
61 information from a terminal window. But I speak from experience when
62 I tell you that this may provoke a very quick response which
63 immediately diagnoses your problem and provides a resolution that can
64 be applied in minutes.
67 I, too, know what it's like to receive a reply to one of my questions
68 which I find to be unhelpful and aggravating. However, "two wrongs
69 don't make a right" and no-one benefits from an angry response.
70
71 Stroller.
72 --
73 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list