From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 21:55:57
1 On Thursday 23 June 2011 18:23:58 pk wrote:
2 > On 2011-06-22 19:36, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > It's a programming language. You know, C, C++, stuff like that.
4 > > Except that it's a zombie-relict from the 1950's that refuses to die
5 > > because people still programming in it are too lazy to learn a proper,
6 > > more modern language :-P
7 >
8 > It refuses to die because it's still very useful in certain niche areas
9 > (hpc, numerical computing etc.) where "modern" languages doesn't cut
10 > it... :-)
11
12 "FORmula TRANslator". it keeps your lights on, as likely as not. Last I
13 looked, electricity power grids were kept alive with fortran doing the
14 calculations.
15
16 Mind you, I am going back a little way.
19 Rgds
20 Peter