From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Roman Naumann <roman_naumann@××××××××.fm>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE takes ages to show password screen after suspend
Date: Sun, 09 May 2010 14:55:08
1 On Sunday 09 May 2010 14:34:11 Roman Naumann wrote:
2 > On Friday 07 May 2010 20:26:46 András Csányi wrote:
3 > > On 7 May 2010 19:33, Roman Naumann <roman_naumann@××××××××.fm> wrote:
4 > > > Hi,
5 > > >
6 > > > when I suspend my computer, KDE locks the session. This usually
7 > > > happens, when I close my laptop lid.
8 > > >
9 > > > When I open it again, it takes 1 to 20 seconds (seamingly random)
10 > > > untill the login screen appears. During this time, I just see a black
11 > > > screen and a mouse pointer (somewhere), but I cannot move it.
12 > >
13 > > Suspend is that when the computer isn't off just the things stays in
14 > > memory, isn't? When the contents of the memory is writed to the disk
15 > > and the machine is get off that is the hibernate function, isn't?
16 > >
17 > > It is possible that when you close the lid the contents of memory
18 > > writed to the disk and reading this few hundred Mbyte - on my laptop
19 > > KDE is eating ~800 Mbyte memory, the hungry Beast! :) - takes that
20 > > long time what you mentioned?
21 > > I'm not a big hacker just I'm thinking over it. :$
22 >
23 > Hmm, I guess I should have specified what kind of 'suspend' I meant:
24 > Suspend to ram. Not suspend to disk!
25 >
26 > When I close the laptop lid, kde does NOTHING but lock the screen. I
27 > disabled all other power management actions in kde's systemsettings.
28 > The suspend is done by a script independend of kde, and that's working just
29 > fine. It's only kde taking that long..
30 >
31 > Even if kde ignored my settings and writes and reads stuff from disk when I
32 > close/open the laptop lid: A second after I close the lid, the LED on the
33 > laptop begins to blink, saying that the computer is suspended to ram.
34 > Kde could never write the whole ram to disk in that second.
35
36 What does your resume script look like?
37
38 I'm thinking maybe you have hardware that is taking ages (or is just
39 unreliable) to wake up and resume, and kde depends on that hardware. Video
40 drivers and wireless ethernet comes to mind.
43 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com