From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo Healthy? (The Return)
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 14:06:07
1 On 7/5/07, Paul Waring <paul@×××.net> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 09:40:10PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > emerge is along the same lines. "make menuconfig" is the limits of my
4 > > expertise. I remember "RPM hell" with Redhat linux, trying to find an
5 > > RPM package for a program I wanted, where the developer hadn't linked it
6 > > against a bunch of stuff I didn't have. I can take a text-only basic
7 > > system, "emerge gimp", and emerge will pull in and build, in the right
8 > > order, all the necessary X libraries, GTK, etc, etc. I end up with a
9 > > functional TWM "desktop". "emerge bbkeys" emerges blackbox
10 > > key-controls... after first emerging blackbox. Try doing that with
11 > > RPMs.
12 >
13 > What makes you think that you can't do that with RPMs now? Seven years
14 > ago they were a nightmare but things have moved on since then. The same
15 > goes for deb files (can't think of any other major ones off the top of
16 > my head).
17 >
18 > Paul
19
20 Well, in the world of audio RPMs anyway the problem always was that
21 different audio apps used different versions of libraries. Last time I
22 used Fedora (maybe 3-4 years ago now) none of the RPM managers would
23 automatically go find all the right libraries for some odd audio app I
24 wanted to try out, and then even if they did if I decided to take the
25 app off my system there wasn't a good way to clean up after the fact.
26
27 Beyond that I never had a major Fedora upgrade go cleanly. My Gentoo
28 machines are now multi-years old and they just update each week or two
29 as new revisions come out.
30
31 I'm sure things are much better today but I still hear folks complain
32 about this sort of this on the pro-audio lists once in awhile. I
33 couldn't have written a better description of my use of Gentoo than
34 Walter did. I'm pretty much exactly the same sort of user. Gentoo
35 works great for me.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Mark