From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 21:09:42
1 On Thursday 24 April 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3
4 > >> kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=(hd0)/sda3
5 > >>
6 > >> Fails
7 > >
8 > > Won't work. (hd0) is a grub thing. You need a /dev/sda3 or similar
9 > > in there
10 >
11 > I think you are wrong about that. But just a fine point and not
12 > central to the problem.
13 > For example I know for sure you can use the grub notation at the
14 > kernel address like:
15 >
16 > kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-XXXXXX
17 >
18 > At least I know for sure it was possible at one time.. I haven't
19 > actully used that notation in grub for quite a while. I do have that
20 > notation as the address for the splash image in several working
21 > grub.confs. (like splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz)
22
23 To clarify, your kernel line will work just fine with that notation.
24 It's an instruction to grub in the form of a path that it understands.
25 Essentially you are telling grub which partition to look on for the
26 kernel and it knows what (hd0,0) is. /dev/sda1 won't work there, as
27 grub does not understand Linux kernel names (There might be a hack to
28 get around this but the code would be ugly as hell).
29
30 You have a "root" directive to grub, so the notation is
31 redundant. "root" is there so you don;t have to keep typing (hd0,0)
32 everywhere
33
34 <snip>
35
36 > In the screen shot provided note that it appears grub is expecting an
37 > intramfs and only lists those types of devices, rejecting both
38 > (hd0,0) and /dev/sda3.
39 >
40 > http://www.jtan.com/~reader/vu/disp.cgi
41
42 Aaaaaaaaaah, now I see. It's one of two things, and neither is your
43 grub.conf. That's the kernel spitting that garbage at you, so your
44 grub.conf is just fine. You have either:
45
46 1. Compiled in the need for an initrd and have not supplied one, or
47 2. (more likely) you do not have support for your chipset, ata and/or
48 root filesystem compiled into the kernel (NOT as modules). "VFS: Unable
49 to mount root fs" is almost invariable due to this
50
51 Do you want to use an initrd, or due the highly customized thing and
52 dispense with it?
56 Alan McKinnon
57 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
60 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list