From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:19:53
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Aaaaaaaaaah, now I see. It's one of two things, and neither is your
4 > grub.conf. That's the kernel spitting that garbage at you, so your
5 > grub.conf is just fine. You have either:
6 >
7 > 1. Compiled in the need for an initrd and have not supplied one, or
8 > 2. (more likely) you do not have support for your chipset, ata and/or
9 > root filesystem compiled into the kernel (NOT as modules). "VFS: Unable
10 > to mount root fs" is almost invariable due to this
11 >
12 > Do you want to use an initrd, or due the highly customized thing and
13 > dispense with it?
14
15 OK, let me explain a bit. I started compiling a kernel for this
16 install and somehow missed something important for filesystems. (I
17 don't remember what now) during make menuconfig.
18
19 Rather than keep plugging away with menuconfig I ran `genkernel all'
20 which I have done many times. It always produces an intramfs but I
21 have simpley ignored and deleted from /boot. Went ahead with the
22 very same grub.conf as posted in this thread. (With different
23 devices), and never had any trouble with the kernel demanding an
24 intramfs. My take was that if you don't tell the OS to use an
25 intramfs in grub.conf then it doesn't... no harm no foul.
26
27 So maybe in version 2008.1 when one uses `genkernel all' something is
28 compiled into the kernel causing it to `need' an intramfs. If that
29 is the case it will be a new phenomena since I have, as stated, used
30 genkernel and ignored the resulting initramfs many times.
31
32 I guess a simple test would be to insert the intramfs options and see
33 if it works.
34
35 If so then I will redo the kernel with makemenuconfig and eventually
36 get a working kernel with no initramfs baloney.
37
38 > Reader, do you have an XP machine with VMWare where you could copy
39 > through
40 > vmware gust over to and try? If that succeeds I'd have to conclude
41 > it's
42 > YANVO (yet another nefarious vista obstruction)
43
44 I do and was hoping to avoid that very thing.. I too thought of that.
45 I can do it but it will mean horsing several GB across the network
46 then monkeying around with changed udev stuff that inevitably occurs
47 when you move a VM install. Then back across the network and more
48 udev stuff... I think I remember how to get by that but would rather
49 solve it in place.
50
51 For now I guess I'll test and see if adding initramfs to grub.conf works.
54 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list