From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:45:26
1 On Friday 25 April 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
3
4 > > Do you want to use an initrd, or due the highly customized thing
5 > > and dispense with it?
6 >
7 > OK, let me explain a bit. I started compiling a kernel for this
8 > install and somehow missed something important for filesystems. (I
9 > don't remember what now) during make menuconfig.
10 >
11 > Rather than keep plugging away with menuconfig I ran `genkernel all'
12 > which I have done many times. It always produces an intramfs but I
13 > have simpley ignored and deleted from /boot. Went ahead with the
14 > very same grub.conf as posted in this thread. (With different
15 > devices), and never had any trouble with the kernel demanding an
16 > intramfs. My take was that if you don't tell the OS to use an
17 > intramfs in grub.conf then it doesn't... no harm no foul.
18
19 I've hit that kind of thing a few times myself. Nowadays I just grit my
20 teeth and wait for a spare hour to run menuconfig and give it the
21 attention it deserves.
22
23 Something seems to have changed with 2.6.25, more so than normal for new
24 versions. For instance, b43 refuses point blank to work here or do
25 anything remotely useful like a nice driver should. b43legacy doesn't
26 work either. They both work with earlier versions although performance
27 sucks. I was hoping that this would be the version where I could dump
28 ndiswrapper. Maybe next time...
29
30 Let us know how you get on with a custom config
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list