From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:54:37
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Something seems to have changed with 2.6.25, more so than normal for new
4 > versions. For instance, b43 refuses point blank to work here or do
5 > anything remotely useful like a nice driver should. b43legacy doesn't
6 > work either. They both work with earlier versions although performance
7 > sucks. I was hoping that this would be the version where I could dump
8 > ndiswrapper. Maybe next time...
9 >
10 > Let us know how you get on with a custom config
11
12 I haven't gotten that far yet, since I decided to try adding intramfs
13 lines to grub.conf and see if it would then work.... It didn't but
14 then I'm not really sure what is supposed to go there where you want
15 to boot off an initramfs.
16
17 I tried these lines I found by googling at site:gentoo.org:
18 (the part between the asterisks below)
19
20 default 0
21 timeout 5
22 splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
25 title=kernel-2.6.25-r1-0x31a-1280x1024
26 root (hd0,0)
27 ## ******
28 kernel /kernel-2.6.25-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192
29 real_root=/dev/sda3 udev
30 ## ******
31
32 I was a little doubtful about `init=/linuxrc' since that appears to be
33 saying it initialize from a file at /boot/linuxrc. I don't have such
34 a file there, but all the examples I found seems to include that bit,
35 including in this thread.
36
37 At any rate it did not work and produced the same error as already
38 posted.
39
40 So, I'm thinking it probably won't do any real good to monkey around
41 with the kernel either, if the initramfs thing isn't the problem them
42 it seems likely to be a vista problem.
43
44 However you and others have mentioned having the right drivers for the
45 harddrive. How can I tell if I have the right drivers?
46
47 And are we talking about something in the vmware settings or do you mean
51 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list