From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub heartbreaker
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 05:53:36
1 On Friday 25 April 2008, reader@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > So, I'm thinking it probably won't do any real good to monkey around
3 > with the kernel either, if the initramfs thing isn't the problem them
4 > it seems likely to be a vista problem.
5
6 The kernel is exactly where you should be monkeying. I reckon you have a
7 driver you need compiled in and it's a module because of the make
8 allconfig.
9
10 It's highly unlikely to be Vista unless Vista prevents VMWare from
11 creating virtual devices. This is unlikely. If it were, Microsoft would
12 already be in front of the anti-trust judge and /. would be going
13 ballistic
14
15 > However you and others have mentioned having the right drivers for
16 > the harddrive.  How can I tell if I have the right drivers?
17
18 Check the VMWare config for your virtual machine. Somewhere in there is
19 a choice for the disk type VMWare gives you. I forget the details, but
20 it's something well known. Same for the chipset stuff
21
22 > And are we talking about something in the vmware settings or do you
23 > mean loading the right modules or building certain drivers into the
24 > kernel?
25
26 It's the same process as building a kernel running on the native
27 machine. Without an initrd to provide drivers via a ram disk at
28 boot-time, you need them compiled into your kernel. It's the usual:
29
30 disk system type - in your case it will be scsi
31 specific disk/chipset type - this you get from VMWare's config dialog
32 root filesystem type - ext3/reiserfs/whatever you are using
35 Alan McKinnon
36 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list