From: victor romanchuk <rom@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linode discontinuing Xen, migrating to KVM
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2017 05:27:56
1 hi
2
3 On 10/02/2017 08:30 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 > One thing I do seem to recall is there was somewhere that I had to
5 > define Xen as the virtualization environment being used, but I can't
6 > remember where I did that. Was that in the kernel config? If so, their
7 > tool should (hopefully) handle that change.
8 >
9 > Anyway, was hoping some kind souls here might give me a few things to
10 > check and possibly do proactively to ensure a smooth transition.
13 there are two files to change/check before migration
14
15 * /etc/inittab :: console terminal (XEN PV domUs do use hvc console and KVM VM employ normal linux
16 console)
17
18 -c1:12345:/respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 hvc0 linux
19 +c1:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty 38400 ttyS0 linux
20
21 * š/etc/fstab :: XEN PV do use xvdN volumes and KVM VM volume naming is canonical
22
23 -/dev/xvdbššš ššš noneššš ššš swapššš ššš swššš ššš 0 0
24 +/dev/sdbššš ššš noneššš ššš swapššš ššš swššš ššš 0 0
27 the migration itself is automated; linode did it for me flawlessly: few minutes of downtime needed
28 to convert images and to move them to different hardware (in my case)
29
30 hth