From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin only allowing a single instance after update
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2019 02:45:55
1 Daniel Frey wrote:
2 > On 8/17/19 4:48 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >> Philip Webb wrote:
4 >>> 190816 Dale wrote:
5 >>>> I upgraded my system last night,
6 >>>> logged out and back in earlier and have noticed something new.
7 >>>> It seems to only allow one instance of Dolphin to run at a time.
8 >>>> I usually have three or four running
9 >>>> for doing different things in different locations.
10 >>>> It just makes it easier for me to multi-task at times.
11 >>>> Current version of Dolphin and USE flags:
12 >>>> kde-apps/dolphin-19.08.0:5::gentoo  USE="handbook -activities -debug
13 >>>> -semantic-desktop -test"
14 >>>> Previous version that worked normally:
15 >>>> kde-apps/dolphin-19.04.3
16 >>> https://kde.org/announcements/announce-applications-19.08.0
17 >>>
18 >>> Apparently, it's a new feature.
19 >>> Can you solve your problem with KDE Activities ?
20 >>> Otherwise, perhaps tabs will help.
21 >>>
22 >>> I use CLI for ordinary file management & Krusader for heavy lifting,
23 >>> so this doesn't affect me.
24 >>>
25 >>> HTH
26 >>>
29 >> That's interesting.  It says this in the link provided.  "Note that this
30 >> behavior is now on by default, but it can be disabled."  I've looked and
31 >> I can not find where to disable that feature.  It says it can be
32 >> disabled but I wonder where that setting is??
33 >>
34 >> Can you narrow down CLI for me?  I did a eix cli and it gives a lot of
35 >> hits.  I don't think I've tried that one.  It doesn't ring a bell at
36 >> least.
37 >>
38 >> Thanks for the info.  At least I know now if I can't find a way to
39 >> disable it, on to a different file manager.  I already switched to
40 >> Krusader for root access so it's not like I'm not totally against using
41 >> something else.
42 >>
43 >> Dale
44 >>
45 >> :-)  :-)
48 > I always make sure I have Midnight Commander (app-misc/mc) on my
49 > machines in case a GUI is not available. If you're copying only a few
50 > things the shell is fine, but mc is pretty handy for organizing files.
51 >
52 > I'm in the middle of a stable upgrade now, if I find some sort of
53 > option for Dolphin I'll let you know.
54 >
55 > Dan
60 I have mc installed here as well.  I have used it a few times.  Thing
61 is, I use other file managers because I work with images and videos a
62 lot plus text or document files as well.  Having thumbnails and being
63 able to make them larger and all comes in handy.  It seems for that sort
64 of task, mc lacks a few features that graphical file mangers have.  If
65 stuck in command line, it is handy.  May be handy in other situations as
66 well.  Just not in my current one.
67
68 I may end up using PCMan.  I used it for a while and it does well in
69 certain situations but Dolphin had its pluses when dealing with videos
70 and images.  Until now at least.
71
72 Thanks.
73