From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] 3ware SATA Raid
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 19:40:30
1 First of all, thanks for your answer.
2
3 On Friday 10 February 2006 19:39, Rick van Hattem wrote:
4
5 > You are correct, you are able to hot-swap the drives without rebooting
6 > or anything.
7 >
8 > I have a 3ware 7506-12 card and I'm able to hot-swap drives aswell,
9 > the drivers work very good and the management tool allows you to
10 > create/modify/rebuild raid arrays without rebooting.
11
12 But how do you actually hot-swap the drives? Does the disk that is going
13 to be removed have to be somehow powered off (eg, via some switch in the
14 backplane or in the enclosure) before? (Sorry for the dumb questions, I
15 read a reasonable amount of documents about RAID but actually I never
16 had to deal with it in the real life - until now of course).
17
18 Is the management tool opensource or is it a binary proprietary program?
19
20 > But...... Areca cards are a lot faster for the serial ata stuff,
21 > altough I'm not sure about there linux driver support, it's worth to
22 > take a look at there stuff :)
23
24 Well, areca is in fact the other brand I was interested in (together with
25 LSI)...I'm not sure, but they seem to use marvell chipset; there is
26 support for it in the kernel, although the driver is still experimental
27 (but they mantain a separate opensource driver). Don't know about their
28 management tools (infos are welcome).
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list