From: Jarry <jarry@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] 3ware SATA Raid
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 20:12:37
1 Etaoin Shrdlu wrote:
2
3 > But how do you actually hot-swap the drives? Does the disk that is going
4 > to be removed have to be somehow powered off (eg, via some switch in the
5 > backplane or in the enclosure) before?
6
7 I think hot-swap is supported by sata itself (I mean hardware side), similar
8 as for usb: grounding pins are longer, i.e. you can just simply pull out
9 power-cable and then data-cable even while your server is on. Or you can
10 buy special swappable enclosures for sata-disk, which is mounted in free
11 external 5 1/4" position (e.g. from ViPowER SwapRack) and easily pull out
12 sata disk from your server...
13
14 Jarry
15 --