From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the best way forward?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2021 16:14:50
1 On Thursday, 25 February 2021 15:42:38 GMT Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 2/25/21 2:51 AM, Michael wrote:
3
4 > > A reinstall in this context is not a wholesale replace.
5 >
6 > ~blink~
7 >
8 > > It implies obtaining the latest Stage 3 archive from a mirror,
9 > > but retaining part of your current installation. Your /home, /etc,
10 > > /var/lib/portage/world, plus any databases e.g. in /var/lib/mysql/
11 > > and your kernel config will be retained from your existing system and
12 > > will not be replaced. Back these up first along with any particular
13 > > customizations you have made, before you untar Stage 3, so you can
14 > > restore them.
15 >
16 > Ah. You seem to be talking about what I would call an "in place
17 > upgrade" for Windows. As in stalling n over top of n-1 or n-2. That's
18 > definitely less disruptive than I was thinking. I was thinking that
19 > fdisk and / or mkfs would be involved.
20
21 Yes, it is an "in place upgrade", but bottom up. You upgrade the filesystem
22 to the latest OS image, then drop in your own existing settings/configuration
23 and finally run a system/kernel update.
24
25 Unless you want to change your partitions you won't need to use fdisk.
26
27 mkfs is advisable, it will clear out any old cruft and address any changes to
28 the default system directories - e.g. where $PORTDIR, $DISTDIR may be in the
29 latest Stage 3.
30
31 A quick diff between your backup of make.conf and repos.conf against the new
32 Stage 3 archive contents will inform you of changes to default settings.
35 > > Then rsync portage, update all your @world packages and build a new
36 > > kernel (make oldconfig). Spend some time merging existing application
37 > > config files with etc-update to make them compatible with the latest
38 > > versions of these packages, reboot and hopefully that should be all
39 > > there is to it.
40 >
41 > I may end up /needing/ to go that route. For the moment, I'm going to
42 > try the incremental updates.
43 >
44 > > Yes, it would have been, but what is the benefit of updating multiple
45 > > packages many times over, instead of doing it just once?
46 >
47 > In some ways, this is a learning experience. As in it's a proof of concept.
48
49 Yes, nowt wrong with that and a sound reason to try it out. In this case,
50 time spent and any problem solving would be an investment in learning.
53 > The computer in question spends 2/3 of it's life doing nothing but
54 > idling a few programs. So, it spending time compiling and producing
55 > heat is not a bad thing in this case. Especially when there's 10" of
56 > snow on the ground. ;-)
57
58 Neil highlighted the use case of a server/system which can't afford
59 interruptions. I'd still reinstall as explained above, but do it offline,
60 test, backup, and then untar over the live filesystem to keep downtime to a
61 minimum.