From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Pentium 75 Compiled on P4
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 04:21:12
1 It works
2
3 Don't forget to run grub once its on the target machine.
6 On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 23:38:19 -0400
7 Michael Crute wrote:
8
9 > I have an ancient Pentium 1 machine sitting around and thought it would be
10 > neat to mess around with using it as a Postfix server on my network
11 > (non-production use). Anyhow the situation is that with a Pentium 1 and 32MB
12 > of ram this thing takes three weeks to compile Gentoo and I recently had a
13 > power failure after week one of the compilation (very sad). To remedy this I
14 > setup a chrooted environment on my P4 desktop and installed a stage 1 into
15 > it then proceeded to do the entire system setup (sans formatting and
16 > partitioning) inside this nice chrooted environment. I used CFLAGS for
17 > Pentium and such. As far as anyone knows, would there be any issues if I
18 > just bzipped up the entire directory structure on my system and after
19 > formatting and partition ting dropped it on the soon to be server? I can't
20 > see any issue but then again I have never attempted something like this. Any
21 > insights would be appreciated.
22 >
23 > -Mike
24 >
25 > --
27 > Michael E. Crute
28 > Software Developer
29 > SoftGroup Development Corporation
30 >
31 > Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
32 > "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"
35 Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list