From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 23:13:01
1 On 02/25/2010 11:45 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > Am Dienstag 23 Februar 2010 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
3 >> On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>> On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
6 >>>>> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
7 >>>>> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
8 >>>>> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
9 >>>>
10 >>>> Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read
11 >>>> it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
12 >>>
13 >>> No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
14 >>> one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
15 >>> time. GMane does that for me instead.
16 >>
17 >> Just to make my point more clear:
18 >>
19 >> http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png
20 >
21 > OT: It occured to me that many, including you, have this awfully fuzzy font
22 > rendering. Aren’t you bothered by that? (Assuming you’re on a TFT). When I
23 > look at your image, my view starts floating on a plane in front of the screen.
24 >
25 > See http://i47.tinypic.com/1zxsbok.png
26
27 No, actually I find it much better then the one in your screenshot.
28 Much easier to read for me. I guess this is due to differences in our
29 monitor's DPI. I can image that lower DPI monitors must show it pretty
30 "zoomed-in" and therefore blurry. The fonts in your screenshot actually
31 look like small, thin lines instead of proper fonts here.
34 > As you can see, I’m also using a mail client for those lists. At the
35 > beginning, I used my Uni’s news server, but at some point, I couldn’t post to
36 > this list anymore through NNTP. So I had to switch to mail interface.
37 >
38 > But even though local archiving works better with mails (articles are gone
39 > from the news server after a short while), I’d prefer the NNTP way though,
40 > it’s easier to view the list filtered (e.g. no ignored threads).
41
42 For what it's worth, GMane's NNTP server never deletes messages. In the
43 case of gentoo-user, everything's still there; the oldest posts date
44 back to 2002.