From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 22:03:43
1 Am Dienstag 23 Februar 2010 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 > > On 02/23/2010 12:26 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > >> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 12:11:40 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 > >>> I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
6 > >>> mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
7 > >>> email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.
8 > >>
9 > >> Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read
10 > >> it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
11 > >
12 > > No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
13 > > one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
14 > > time. GMane does that for me instead.
15 >
16 > Just to make my point more clear:
17 >
18 > http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png
19
20 OT: It occured to me that many, including you, have this awfully fuzzy font
21 rendering. Aren’t you bothered by that? (Assuming you’re on a TFT). When I
22 look at your image, my view starts floating on a plane in front of the screen.
23
24 See http://i47.tinypic.com/1zxsbok.png
25
26 As you can see, I’m also using a mail client for those lists. At the
27 beginning, I used my Uni’s news server, but at some point, I couldn’t post to
28 this list anymore through NNTP. So I had to switch to mail interface.
29
30 But even though local archiving works better with mails (articles are gone
31 from the news server after a short while), I’d prefer the NNTP way though,
32 it’s easier to view the list filtered (e.g. no ignored threads).
33 --
34 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/ - EDOB
35 Nicht von Staat und Konzernen ausschnüffeln lassen, E-Mails verschlüsseln!
36 http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard http://hp.kairaven.de/pgp/
37
38 Die USA haben den Weg von der Barbarei zur Dekadenz
39 ohne den Umweg über die Kultur gewählt.