From: Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Looking for a pre-compiled Linux distribution
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 18:49:17
1 On 23 November 2017 at 18:45, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 23/11/17 19:11, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> I'd like to recommend a Linux distribution to someone who needs an as
8 >> simple Linux distribution as possible.
9 >> Since I am going to help that person from time to time, it should be as
10 >> similar as possible to Gentoo.
11 >>
12 >> Which distribution would you recommend.
15 > Arch Linux is similar. Just imagine you have "emerge", except there's only
16 > binary packages. When you install it initially, you're left on the command
17 > line with nothing installed except base packages, much like Gentoo
20 And as an alternative to that, Artix is based on Arch/Manjaro, leaves you
21 with a desktop after install, and uses openrc which you might be used to
22 from gentoo.